Monday, September 03, 2007

My Views on Taxation

Been busy completing the third draft of a 100,000-word manuscriupt of a novel I've been working on this year. While working away, I received an email from a friend lambasting the level of federal taxation we citizens pay. Here's my response.

My view of taxation may surprise you. I have an entirely different view of taxes than most folks.

When I got out of college in June of 1956 and was looking for work, the Korean War had ended in a cease fire a few years before, and the arms race of the Cold War had started in earnest. I decided that a career in the Defense Industry would be a good idea because I would be working with cutting-edge technology on systems that were considered critical to our nation’s defense. Thus, the prospect for long term employment looked very good. Equally important, the prospect for interesting and intellectually challenging work also looked good.

So, in October of 1956, I took a job with Electric Boat working on the first nuclear submarines. This was the beginning of a most enjoyable, 48-year, engineering career, that was personally intellectually and financially rewarding. A career that was paid for entirely by taxes on the citizens of our nation and, later, those nations of my foreign clients.

Thank you, good citizens everywhere.

May the Soviet Union rest in peace. As stated in my first positing on this blog my toast is: “So Long USSR, And Thanks For All The Threats.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home