Sunday, May 14, 2006

Letters to Isla

Isla was born in 1987 in London. Her parents did me the honor of asking me to be her Godfather. I, of course, was pleased to accept.

But I foresaw problems with fulfilling my role as Godfather to a child living in London while I lived in Los Angles. During the Anglican Christening ceremony, the Godparents of the child swear an oath to protect the child from the devil. How could I do that, when at best, I visited Isla randomly a few days every year or so.

I thought about the problem and came to realize I believed that the devil is ignorance. That being the case, I could fulfill my obligation to Isla by writing a series of letters giving her a guiding philosophy for living an ethical life.

I wrote seven letters. Which reveals the extent of my own ethics. Isla is now a young woman, and I am certain she, having absorbed their contents, has forgotten all about them. However, with the current misbehavior in U.S. business and government, I have decided to publish the letters in hopes they may influence some other young person seeking guidance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home